Whiplash relief from experienced Chiropractors
The term whiplash refers to either a sudden unexpected back and forth movement of the neck, or an injury to some part of the neck caused by that motion. Most commonly, whiplash injuries occur during an auto accident but can also occur with sports injuries, falls, or other traumas.
When a person’s head is forcefully thrown backward and then forward in a quick motion, it can injure bones in the spine, discs between the bones, ligaments, muscles, nerves, and other tissues of the neck.
Common symptoms related to whiplash may include:
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Shoulder pain and stiffness
- Jaw pain (temporomandibular joint symptoms)
- Arm Pain
Whiplash injuries often occur after involvement in car accidents, but this type of injury can also happen from:
- Physical abuse or assault where a person is punched or shaken
- Contact sports involving collisions such as football
- Sudden changes in direction causing strains in the neck as a result of various scenarios including roller coaster rides, minor bicycle accidents, or slips and falls
How Does a Chiropractor Help Treat Whiplash?
Chiropractors really focus on the whole body, not just the affected area. They view neck pain as unique to each patient. They emphasize prevention as the key to long-term health. In addition to these treatments, your chiropractor may also prescribe therapeutic in-office treatments, as well as home exercises to help restore normal motion in your spine and reduce whiplash symptoms. Whatever your particular case of whiplash might be, you can rest assured that your Dedham chiropractor has been specifically trained to handle these injuries.